Guards! Guards! - Terry Pratchett

Guards! Guards!  - Terry Pratchett

I've no idea how I'm going to go about reviewing this. I love Discworld (well, up until Snuff) ever so much, and especially the Watch novels, so this is probably going to be a splurge rather than a balanced, reasoned review.

Sorry about that.

Guards! Guards! is the first of the Watch novels of Terry Pratchett's Discworld, introducing Samuel Vimes, Captain of the near-defunct City Watch of Ankh-Morpork, and his colleagues Sergeant Colon and Corporal Nobbs (docked his responsibility pay for being a disgrace to the species). Joining this merry (and slightly drunken) band of troubadours is Lance-Corporal Carrot, a human brought up as a dwarf in the mountains of Uberwald and thus possessing an unhealthy (unless you're a dwarf) literalness of mind and respect for the letter of the law.

Oh, and then someone unleashes a dragon onto the city, and all hell breaks loose. Again.

This is the eighth Discworld novel, so the series has had time to mature, to become funnier, yes, but also viable as an actual novel, with serious themes and its own morality. Are people naturally evil? More evil than, say, a dragon?

You have the effrontery to be squeamish...But we were dragons. We were supposed to be cruel, cunning, heartless and terrible. But this much I can tell you, you ape...we never burned and tortured and ripped one another apart and called it morality.

And that, folks, is why I love Terry Pratchett.