Twilight - Stephenie Meyer

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer, Stephenie Meyer

On Reading Twilight For The Third Time:

Well, the fact that I have read it three times implies some level of enjoyment, I suppose. But I am definitely beginning to tire of it. As probably everyone reading this will know, Twilight is told from the point of view of Bella Swan, who moves to Forks, Washington, the rainiest town in America, and meets the perfect guy. So far, so high-school romance. But it turns out that Perfect Guy (Edward Cullen) is, cue dramatic gasp, A Vampire.

The problem (well, the main problem) I had with Twilight was how boring it is. I got so tired of the same conversation happening over and over again in different locations: Bella going on and on about how "obsessed" and "addicted" (Meyer's actual words) she is and Edward being all like "I could kill you with a breath! Cower, brief mortal!!" Yeah, that's a healthy relationship.

And Bella is so whiny. She likes to make everything more dramatic than it actually is. Like the whole thing about moving to Forks: she makes it seem like she's been exiled to Wales or Antarctica or, you know, somewhere else really awful. "My being happy in Forks is an impossibility." GET OVER YOURSELF! It's really not that bad.

But Twilight's been successful for a reason, and Meyer deserves some credit for the fact that she's written the ultimate wish-fulfilment fantasy. A whole generation of teenagers has fallen in love with Edward (Team Edward! Yay!), and, you know, the whole vampire-lore thing, that world Meyer's created, is interesting. Three stars, then. I guess I'm one of those rare people who neither love nor hate Twilight.