In Search of Schrodinger's Cat - John Gribbin

In Search of Schrödinger's Cat - John Gribbin

In Search of Schrodinger's Cat is actually a bit of a misnomer. Schrodinger's unfortunate cat does not play what you might call a starring role in this book, which is basically a history of quantum, from Newton's theories of light all the way through to supersymmetry. I personally got bogged down in the first half of the book, since I'd already studied most of the science in AS Physics. But then it suddenly got really, really interesting, and I mean MIND-BLOWING. Nothing is real unless you look at it, most of the world is empty space, and the whole universe might just be a bubble. And that's just the start. When I was reading those parts, it felt like everything was falling into place, and I just sat there totally amazed.

You're probably wondering why, in that case, I didn't give it five stars. Well, like I said, the beginning was fairly boring, but that's more a case of personal interest. But a lot of the maths was a little dishearteaning and hard to follow - possibly Gribbin should have remembered Stephen Hawking's advice that every equation halves a book's sales. That's my main gripe; otherwise it was good. I liked the short sections, breaking the science up into manageable chunks; and apart from the maths it was well written in a way that was easy to understand for non-scientists. The whole thing, I think, is best summed up by the epigraph from Niels Bohr:

Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it.