SPOILER ALERT!

Glory Season - David Brin

Glory Season - David Brin

Glory Season is set on a world in which, through a bit of genetic trickery by a long-ago Founder, Lysos, women give birth to clones of themselves in winter, while in summer gene-mixed children, "vars", are born. It's a system that favours clones, and therefore vars like Maia and her twin Leie, whom this novel follows, are cast out to make their own fortunes in the world.

To be honest, I found Glory Season rather lurid and predictable. Many of the major plot points were painfully obvious, often from Maia's too-strident assumptions in the opposite direction (Brin apparently loves tricking his characters), and right up until the end it read like a third-rate adventure story of the kind Brin castigates through Maia (notwithstanding the feminist society built by the novel, which is admittedly rather well worked out).

And then the end itself. The end annoyed me, to be honest. It was inconclusive and left loose ends. What really did happen to Renna? There are hints in the Cydonia's journal that it was all a clever ploy, but why? And why, exactly, is Maia so important politically at the end of the novel? Was it solely her association with Renna? I honestly can't see it.

There were things I enjoyed about Glory Season: the Game of Life (which, remarkably, is a real thing: http://pmav.eu/stuff/javascript-game-...), the focus on puzzles and riddles, and the relationships between Maia and Renna and Maia and Brod. And just because it's unoriginal doesn't make it not fun to read, after all.