Wool - Hugh Howey

Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1, Wool, #1-5) - Hugh Howey

Why have I not heard of this before?

Wool is a dystopia novel, a tale about a community of humans living in a massive underground silo, the world above poisoned beyond repair.

(By the way, is this reminding anyone else of The Matrix?)

Inside the silo, it is forbidden even to speak of the outside (despite the fact that they have camera feeds in full view of everyone), on pain of death. But, as everyone who's read The Hunger Games knows, it's impossible to kill an idea, and once that idea's taken root, the secrets and lies, the pressures inside the silo, all begin to build up and threaten its very existence.

God, I loved Wool. It's one of those books that keep the reader guessing and thinking even as they are reading. Practically every chapter poses some moral dilemma or some life-or-death situation, all of which cycle back to the question: "is the happiness of the individual more important than the survival of the species?" I love the way that the world of Wool just grows and grows with every revelation, both for the reader and for the character; in fact I love the way that the novel makes you feel everything the character feels, shock, disgust, horror, fear. It's an adventure all of its own.

But the thing I loved most about Wool is that, as in The Hunger Games, there are no moral absolutes. Every decision comes with some cost, however right it seems in the beginning, and I think that's a really important message for an SF novel - some form of realism to counter the idealism inherent in the genre's very nature.

Wool is just brilliant, and I'm really looking forward to the sequel, Shift. Can't wait!