Victory of Eagles - Naomi Novik

Temeraire (Korean Edition) Book 5: Victory of Eagles - Naomi Novik

Spoilers for Empire of Ivory.

For some reason Booklikes only knows about the Korean edition of this book, so I'm just going to go with that. To be clear, I read this book in English.

Victory of Eagles is the fifth book in Novik's Temeraire series (short version: Regency military fantasy with dragons), and it's a considerable step up from the last two entries in the series, Black Powder War and Empire of Ivory. Victory focuses on the consequences of Laurence's treason: Napoleon invades Britain, rousing the country to war; Temeraire, believing Laurence dead, rouses a militia of dragons from the breeding-grounds to which he has been consigned to fight the French. Despite the dragons' triumphs in gaining rights of command and pay, the novel quickly becomes bittersweet, as Laurence faces the censure of his countrymen and his own self-reproach, and it's all very feels-y. Novik is on strong ground here: she is good at writing characters with strong inner lives, characters who are finely attuned to the demands of their society. I think I came quite close to tears a number of times. And, I'm not usually one for battle scenes, but the enormous pitched battle at the end of the novel is utterly absorbing, rousing and action-packed and desperate.

I was feeling a bit depressed about the series after Empire, but Victory makes me want to power straight through the rest of the series. All round a lovely, well-written, bittersweet read.

(Also: TEMERAIRE IS ADORABLE.)