Star Wars and Philosophy

Star Wars and Philosophy: More Powerful than You Can Possibly Imagine - Jason T. Eberl, Kevin S. Decker, William Irwin

Honestly, this book just felt interminable. That's probably more my fault than the book's: I think I was vaguely hoping that the appeal of Star Wars would outweigh my irritation with philosophy in general, but, no.

Actually, there were a couple of interesting essays, usually the ones which shed some light on Star Wars instead of using Star Wars to illustrate philosophical concepts ("This is exactly like in Star Wars!"). Richard H. Dees' reading of Lando Calrissian as a utilitarian doing his best for the people of Bespin is interesting, and while I don't agree with Jerome Donelly's assessment of the dehumanising role of technology in the films it's a great essay.

Also, this book managed to teach me Heidegger and Hegel, which three years of an English degree have not been able to do, so kudos for that.

I found most of it kind of dull, though, full of the irritating hair-splitting and unfounded conclusions that always annoy me in philosophy; Jan-Erik Jones' essay on causation, which comes to literally no conclusion, as well as having nothing functionally to do with Star Wars, is a case in point. Probably this book is better dipped into than read straight through; but your mileage may vary.