The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic - Sophie Kinsella

The Secret Dreamworld Of A Shopaholic (Shopaholic #1) - Sophie Kinsella

My standards have clearly gone drastically up since the first time I read this.

I mean, the Shopaholic series is what it looks like: a bit of chick-lit-y fun about shopping and good-looking men with melty brown Edward Cullen eyes. Becky Bloomwood has racked up several thousand pounds' worth of debt through compulsive shopping. She's a financial journalist. Oh, how ironic. Ha. Ha. Ha. How will she deal with the debt and find True Love? (This is literally what the blurb says.)

I mean, it's hilarious, no doubt of that, frequently laugh-out-loud so, and it's not bad to read as a bit of fluff to end a difficult day with. But Becky is such a fundamentally irritating character to spend 200 pages with. For a start, she's a complete fantasist; at one point she literally bases all her decisions on the belief that she'll win the lottery. She's shallow, superficial and often cruel; she dates a very sweet guy for his money and when it all inevitably goes wrong she's upset not because she was a bitch but because she won't be able to pay her debts. UGH. RAGE.

It doesn't really work as a story, either; the ending is kind of inconclusive, and too easy for Becky. It just stops. Irritatingly.

It was, however, only £1 from WHSmith, so I probably shouldn't complain. I really have no idea why I liked this so much the first time round.