Sticks and Stones: The Troublesome Success of Children's Literature from Slovenly Peter to Harry Potter - Jack Zipes

Zipes is a reactionary idiot whose work contains enough glaring factual errors (sample quote: Harry Potter and his friends "study hard and attend all classes. They rarely break the rules of Hogwarts." In the words of whoever had this book before me, HAVE YOU READ THE BOOK?) and unnecessary pessimism to discredit even the few interesting claims he does make. I'm left with the impression that he doesn't actually like any children's book, ever. And that Western civilisation is irretrievably doomed.

Plus, while the informal tone of the essays makes the book fairly easy to read, I'd actually prefer it if Zipes actually made an effort to define what he means by, e.g., Western culture (what makes it different to, and/or worse than, other cultures?) or consumerism or the fairy tale or ANYTHING, REALLY.

Why is this guy a respected scholar? Why?

</rant>